On Air Now Martin Emery 11:00am - 3:00pm
Now Playing Blondie Call Me

Reforms Matt Goodwin challenges Green’s Hannah Spencer to debate

The letter Matt Goodwin wrote to Hannah Spencer

Reform UK’s candidate in the Gorton and Denton by-election, Matt Goodwin, has challenged his Green Party opponent Hannah Spencer to a one-on-one debate ahead of polling day on Thursday 26 February.

The challenge was issued in a letter sent on Monday 16 February, shortly after the pair took part in BBC candidate hustings recorded earlier in the day and due to be broadcast today, Tuesday 17.

In his letter to Ms Spencer, Mr Goodwin said he had enjoyed debating the key issues facing Gorton and Denton at the hustings but argued that the format, which included multiple candidates and one-minute answers, limited the scope for detailed discussion.

“As you have said yourself, this by-election is now a two-horse race between Reform and the Green Party,” he wrote. “Which is why today I am inviting you to a one-on-one debate ahead of the vote on Thursday 26th February.”

Mr Goodwin said he believed there had been “a great deal of misinformation” surrounding the campaign and that there had not been enough scrutiny of the candidates’ respective platforms. He added that it was a “matter of responsibility” to hold an open debate before voters cast their ballots.

“You have talked much about your respect for the local people,” he wrote. “I am sure you will agree with me that they deserve the chance to scrutinise our policies in-depth. And they deserve the chance to see us both scrutinise one another.

“On the doorstep, we are all seeing the residents rejecting Labour. Rejecting Keir Starmer. The people want change. But clearly, we hold very different views on how to achieve that. Let’s discuss this, publicly.”

In the same letter, Mr Goodwin said he would be willing for the debate to be hosted by what he described as a “Green-friendly platform” and that Ms Spencer could choose the moderator. His only condition, he stated, was that the debate be recorded and published in full and unedited immediately after it takes place.

Responding to the challenge, Ms Spencer rejected the proposal for a further head-to-head.

She said: “Hi Matt, we literally just debated in the BBC studio and last week at the Manchester Evening News hustings. It’s not a game of the best of three. Sounds like you’re concerned you didn’t come across very well and want another go. I’m not sure anyone wants any more of your hot air and I’m focusing my time now on knocking on doors to talk about what really matters to the people of Gorton and Denton.”

A spokesperson for Labour also commented on the development: “This is a cynical move from a campaign that knows it’s struggling, and that the Labour vote is holding.

“While Matthew and Hannah play student politics, Labour’s Angeliki Stogia is busy, out on the doors, listening to what matters to the people of Gorton and Denton.”

The Gorton and Denton by-election is set to take place on 26 February, with voters choosing their next representative amid a closely contested campaign.

More from Elections

Weather

  • Tue

    5°C

  • Wed

    4°C

  • Thu

    6°C

  • Fri

    8°C